> New Patients
Center for Foot and Ankle Care is accepting new patients. Most insurance plans are accepted. Please call our office regarding your insurance questions.
New Patient Information Forms:
Click on the links below to access the New Patient Forms. After you click the link, a browser window will open. After it opens, click on the 'PRINT' icon on your Browser. After the forms print, fill them out and bring them to your first appointment. Completing the New Patient Information Forms will save you time on your initial visit!
Scheduling and Cancellations:
Please call our office to schedule an appointment. If you are unable to make your appointment, please notify us 24 hours in advance.
What to bring to your appointment:
When to arrive:
- Insurance card
- Names of your other doctors
- List of all current allergies and medications, or bring them with you
- Recent medical records or x-rays will be helpful and may save you time and charges if you are seeking a second opinion or transferring your care
- Any online forms you filled out prior to your appointment
Please click on the link below to fill out the New Patient Registration Form. This form will be directly imported into our system. It is not necessary to bring this form into the office at your appointment time. Thank you:
Please click on the link below to create a Portal to view your health documents:
1. Acknowledgement of Privacy Practice Read first: Privacy Act
Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time to complete any forms. We strive to stay on schedule and do not double-book our patients. New patients may require as much as 60 minutes for their initial evaluation depending on their condition.Group or Individual Insurance:
We attempt to take out as much of the "insurance hassle" as possible for you. We'll happily telephone your insurance company to verify your coverage benefits. Please remember, however, that the benefits quoted to us by your insurance company are not a guarantee of payment. We will file your claim and await payment for 90 days. If your company pays the benefits they quote to us, the only services you will be responsible for are any non-covered services, deductibles or co-pays. If you have any questions at all regarding you financial responsibilities at our office, please do not hesitate to ask. Our insurance clerk has years of experience and will be happy to assist you.Patients Without Insurance:
An increasing number of patients do not have insurance, or have plans with limited coverage, such as catastrophic policies. We realize that no one wants to build up a large bill. Therefore, we have several plans so those patients may receive complete care without undue financial difficulty. Of course we are always happy to accept cash, your personal check, MasterCard, Visa or Discover cards."On The Job" Injury (Worker's Compensation)
If you are injured on the job, your care should be paid for under your employer's Worker's Compensation insurance. You will need to inform your employer of the accident and obtain the name and address of the carrier of their insurance. If your employer does not provide us with this information, if a settlement has not been made within 3 months, or if you suspend or terminate care, any fees are due immediately.Personal Injury or Automobile Accidents
Please notify your auto insurance carrier of your visit to our office immediately. Notify our insurance department immediately if an attorney is representing you.Medicare
We do accept assignment from Medicare. The check is usually sent directly to our office in payment of the services that Medicare will cover. Medicare pays 80% of the allowable fee once the deductible has been met. You are required to pay the deductible and the remaining 20% as well as any non-covered services. Our office completes and files the forms for Medicare at no charge.Secondary Insurance
Please inform us of any secondary insurance you may have. We will assist you if you need help in filing.